Old 15-12-11, 16:21
Van Pro

Default Re: Pop Top Conversion

Do you mind me asking how long ago it was they fitted ur roof and were they trading as Expression Campers or Caraselle as they are now ?
Old 15-12-11, 17:10
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

mine was done in feb this year and it was Expression Campers then

they have never told me once that they wouldnt sort my roof out the problem was with bill
Old 16-12-11, 11:17
Van Pro

Cheers for your time Matt we'll see what happens over the next few weeks
Old 20-12-11, 10:42
Serial Poster

well lets put it this way I had some thing I wanted to sort on my Austop roof, I called them up. I thought wrongly this will go no where I will get fobbed off, but no..

We spoke about it and there was good customer service from the moment I spoke. We have sorted the little problem and as a customer of Austop I am happy with the out come. So with any of these roofs and there a decent commitment to the savings pot to have one. You need to know you have the complete package with product and customer service. I have that with Austop. Even having thicker sides in the mould so that the roof can take a roof rack was no issue with them. They simply made it thicker. A recent T4 meeting resulted in alot of people looking at my Roof as I think I am one of few people who had a LWB one fitted in the club area I am in, and the interest level was high. We are looking forward to summer to use the van and get 3 years worth of camper van use before we do it all again. I will use the same people and products again. Autobeds, Halifax Campers, Austop, Moreland, Vee Dub Transporters and others. This is my second van.
Old 20-12-11, 11:25
Serial Poster

sorry Custom Campers in Halifax ,not Halifax campers
Old 05-03-12, 19:10
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggersg40 View Post
hi neil

spoke to you about this the other day

as i said took my van back yesterday so bill from pop tops uk could inspect it, had a phone call this morning and my roof is being replaced and will be done for next week

cant fault john and margret from the company, its the person that makes the pop tops at fault which he admitted today

hope you get yours sorted neil ive found that talking to people and explaining things without to much shouting and moaning gets you everywhere

matt
hi i have a poptops roof done by andi at ta transformations wouldnt recomend the roof

Last edited by edbluejuice; 04-04-12 at 18:15. Reason: name and shame
Old 05-03-12, 19:35
Van Jedi

Gotta say I have had my poptop roof fitted by Andi at T4transformations and he gave an excellent service, did a good job in the time he said he would at a reasonable price. He came highly recommended by Toby at T4life who has had a few fitted by him.

Royal Marines school of dancing 1978
Old 10-11-12, 19:29
Van Master Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: Pop Top Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil compton View Post
Is anyone having problems with pop top leaking. Was fitted @ Expression Campers in Hucknall only 1 year ago and had to spend whole of last holiday with roof down due to water leaking in through side windows.
Hi Neil, can you tell me exactly where the leak was (if you have pictures that would be great) coming from and what sort of fabric the roof is made from.

I am no expert on roofs but am a designer in the outdoor industry and know about fabrics and how the are supposed to perform.

It may come as shock o most people but there are very few pop tops out there that are waterproof. I have a reimo roof and paid 4k for it. It uses a canvas tent which is around 30 year old technology in my world and is by no means waterproof. The canvas itself will retain a certain amount of water before it starts to leak but the canvas is stitched together and so little holes have been punctured in it, without using a treated thread(which I doubt they do as it is very expensive and only used in very top end outdoor product, no where near the size of a roof tent) that would seal the hole as it is stitched, then water can ingress through this. The holes made when stitching the window will be larger as the fabric is not a woven one so will just be punctured rather than the fibres moving around the needle to form the hole. This will allow water in more easily. So in very bad weather when the rain is lashing against the tent it will leak.

There are things that can be done to alleviate these problems so if I can detriment more precisely what your problem is I may be able to help out.

These are not a 100% fix though and need to be done periodically depending on how much use you give it.

Alternatively you could purchase something like this in the link bellow, that would protect your top from all the elements and nasty uv rays ( a canvas or plastic will degrade in bright sun light and will perish over time), it will also offer thermal insulation meaning you can use your top more of the year round.

http://atdesigns.co.uk/aTDesigns/IgTherm.html

Hope this helps.
Old 15-07-13, 22:46
vw fan

im about to purchase reimo or sca pop top...can you tell me why these manufactures do not simply use waterproof material considering its on a camper van designed for camping in th eoutdoors that probably will see rain at some time?........thanks if you can advise
Old 16-07-13, 07:15
Van Rookie

T5 Post Icon Re: Pop Top Conversion

I am struggling to find a side elevating roof, can anyone recomend one for a LWB T5 please